Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Come, let us anew...

And a happy new year to all of my fellow email friends and family!!!


Here comes another year of these weekly missives. I happened to look back
at the very first one I wrote in January of 1999. My goodness! I couldn't
believe how many things have changed in those 12 years. Peter was on a mission.
Harmony was a junior in high school. And...Kerry and I had his parents and
sister, Gay and I had my father still alive.

My goodness.

It's good to reflect back and look at our lives through the years. I would
hope that in some way, each of you are journaling in some sort of way. It's
difficult to find the time, and we might not think we have anything to say.
But, our descendants will find them fascinating! Besides that, I want my
posterity to know me THROUGH me - NOT THROUGH MY KIDS!!! Good grief, no! I
want them to know what was precious to me, and what I utterly despised.

Thank you to Ross Clark for getting me started on writing these missives.
He began with his "Beth Reports" when he and Andrea had a sweet little baby girl
born to them. Ross - why are there no more "Beth Reports"?

This past week was a wonderful, laid-back week. When we had all of our
children at home, I kind of liked it when our kids were out of school. I really
looked forward to summertime - for it meant we all could play! I'm afraid we
played a lot more than we worked (bad mom!). Harmony worked nearly 40 hours
this past week, though that may not continue after this holiday break. She
seems to be doing really well at work, and they like her. But, she does want
some more challenge in her life, so she's constantly looking. She's putting
quite the effort into this. Proud. So proud.

She spent New Year's Eve with two old and boring people. Us. In times
past, we were on the go to great parties for the youth. Now, we've slowed down.
We're home more than we're not. All three of us had a bit of trouble staying up
to ring in the new year...

Now, it's time to reflect on the past, learn what we can and go on to the
future. Yesterday was Kerry's mother's birthday. How I loved this woman! She
raised the boy who would grow up and become my husband. Well, maybe not grow up
- but at least become the man I love. One of my nieces sent an email that just
seems like a wonderful idea. I will include it here:

"As I was thinking about Grandmother on her birthday Sunday and even the day
before wanting to make those that have past on a part of my life and have my
kids know about them I wanted to start maybe tradition of a way to celebrate
them. My thoughts for Grandmother was to eat on her china that I inherited and
maybe make a favorite meal of hers or one of her recipes (I will have to ask my
mom what that would be because I don't remember her favorite foods) on her
birthday. Then talk about her around the table maybe show the kids a picture of
her and such. I didn't get a chance to do this on Sunday like I wanted to so I
will be celebrating her tomorrow. I just wanted to invite you all to do the
same or think of your own way to remember those that have past on. I think I am
going to do something on their birthdays and maybe anniversaries if that means
to use something that I inherited from them or do something that day that they
loved to do (go to the theater might be another way to celebrate Grandmother) or
have a little circle time about them or what not. Anyway, Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year and Happy Birthday Grandmother Shirley! Love you all and miss a
lot of you. MerryNoelle Sandoval"

What a wonderful idea!!! Thank you, MerryNoelle!!! (love you...)


Shirley Rhodes Lauritzen




Now, for the next memory story:

This story actually comes from Mr. Kerry, who quoted it from memory in
church about a month ago. It concerns part of the conversion story of his
father, Orson William Lauritzen (OWL).

From Kerry:

As my father related many of the spiritual experiences in his life to me and
my siblings as we were growing up, these were spiritual experiences in
themselves for me. One of his most memorable stories was of how he had a
confirmation of his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ during his mission.
He had been asked to give the closing prayer in a missionary meeting, which had
been replete with inspired instruction on how to effectively teach the gospel,
by the spirit of the Lord. In the middle of his prayer, he paused, being moved
by the Holy Ghost to voice the following questions, for himself and all those
present, in case there was doubt in anyone's mind as to the truthfulness of the
gospel: "Heavenly Father, is Jesus Christ thy Son, our Savior? Is there a
living prophet on the earth today? Has thy gospel been restored on the earth?"
He made another brief pause, during which he felt silently in his heart that
yes, indeed, all these questions had a positive answer, and any vestige of doubt
concerning his testimony of the truth of God had vanished from his soul. My
father repeated this story several times in talks in firesides, sacrament
meetings, seminary classes, ands family home evenings at home. It greatly
shaped my own sure testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which I am proud and
eager to bear to others at every opportunity. (Kerry Lauritzen)

No comments:

Post a Comment