Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grateful dead

Well, again I have let two weeks go by without writing. But, I really do have some good excuses. It's usually caused by immersing myself in genealogy and continuing in learning how to become better. I hope my ancestors are grateful.
We are so happy for our young friend, Derek Harmon and his little wife, Melody. They had their first baby this past Tuesday. He is so beautiful and alert - and so is our new little great-nephew Isaac. (s/o Justin and Erin) Kerry and I stopped by their house last week and held this sweet little boy, so fresh and new.
I am slowly getting used to my new purple room that Harmony orchestrated. It really is pretty! And, as a thank you to those that helped her on this project, she arranged a beautiful dinner to show her gratitude. Due to ice and snow and cold weather, it had to be rescheduled a couple of times, but she finally got them here and presented them with a nice dinner. She did all the cooking herself, and even had little gift bags for them. They all got to see the finished project, too.
On Friday, Feb 4, Kerry and I were on our way back from the temple when Jean left a message on our phone at home telling us to call her. We learned that Jim (sister Ferne's husband) had suffered a heart attack, had a huge spike in his blood sugar (over 600) and was hospitalized. The evening was spent phoning between the sisterhood.
Kerry and I drove to Akron the very next day to support Ferne. Jim was hooked up to all sorts of things to help stabilize him. He has always been a bronze and swarthy-looking man. But that day he was quite pale. The night before, he'd had even less color.
In doing some more testing, it was determined that it was indeed a heart attack, and that three arteries in his heart were blocked. So, triple-bypass heart surgery was scheduled for tomorrow.
However, when nausea had set in, he aspirated - causing the much-dreaded pneumonia. Due to a stricture in his chest, he hasn't been able to eat, so he has tubes feeding him. They absolutely cannot operate on him with his lungs filled with fluid, so the heart surgery is postponed indefinitely.
Sister Betty and husband Pete are on their way back from Florida Monday evening. I will pick them up.
Jim. Jim. Jim.
This good man has been part of my life since I was 13 years old - when he married Ferne. He was a fine lawyer and a judge with a good reputation. His mind has always been sharp. He was diligent about keeping our genealogy straight on the computer and getting the temple work accomplished. And - he's not even a member of our church! He has supported Ferne in her church callings, let her go on our genealogy fact-finding trips with nary a complaint.
Come on, Jim. You can do it.
In the meantime, we have tried to go on making normalcy of our lives while remembering Jim and Ferne in our thoughts and prayers. Jim was given a beautiful blessing by nephew Justin (s/o Betty), and it greatly comforted him. Kerry and Harmony and I went to a youth fundraiser spaghetti dinner at the church, and we went to a wonderful Relief Society meeting that taught us more how to use all of the useful links on the Church's web site (lds.org). Our Stake Presidency wants us to utilize it more, and to include our information and pictures on our own stake's site. It was a great class!
Now this week I prepare to teach at a Family History Jamboree in Dayton. I've taught at this one for several years, but had to opt out last year, due to recuperation from my back surgery. It was also right after Peter's memorial service, so I don't know how good I would have been. I would have LOVED to have been in Salt Lake City this week for the first ever Roots Tech Conference, but alas - it was not to be...
Please remember Jim and Ferne in your prayers this week. They are fine, fine people...
Judge Bierce
Jim
Jim and Ferne
And now, for this week's memory...
You just never stop being a kid when you're around your parents.
A few years before he died, my dad lived in our home. I set up the first floor bedroom just for him. It had his bed, a recliner, his desk, a television, his clothing, etc. Everything he could possibly need was in that room. His big oxygen unit was around the corner in the living room, and its long lead could stretch all the way into the kitchen and throughout the house.
Peter was on his mission, so we only had the three younger children at home.
Dad could and did prepare his own lunches, but I made sure he had a good breakfast (usually cracked wheat fixed in the crock pot and cooked overnight), and a good dinner. It was a challenge blending a young family and an older man, but we did the best we could. He was usually ready for bed about 8:30 pm and watched television until he fell asleep just after 9:00 pm.
One evening, all of our kids were out somewhere. Between marching band, working, etc., they all had somewhere to go. So, Kerry and I decided to go out for a bit and see a movie. Everything in the house was taken care of, including dad. He had no problem being left alone, so it was a perfect night. We got ready to go, and I went in to tell him we'd be gone for awhile.
He asked me how long we would be gone. I told him the movie was over just before 11:pm. so it would be after that.
He replied, "Don't you think that's a little bit too late for you two to be out?"
I was stunned. I said, "Dad, I'm a big girl now. I'm 45 years old. It's okay."
Again, he said, "Well, you just both be careful and don't stay out too late."
Kerry and I both smiled and talked about it on the way to the theater.
But, when we got home at 11:30 pm, there was dad sitting up in his recliner, waiting for us to come home. He didn't say anything. He just looked at his watch, looked at us, and made preparations for bed.
Dad. You never stop being a parent. And, you never stop being a kid...
Chester Clemens - who looks a little bit like Colonel Sanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment