Monday, November 29, 2010

A wonderful Christmas gift

I waited to write this missive until today for a very special reason. I'll tell you later...

I finished up my series of genealogy classes last week and said good-bye to a great group of people. I just fell in love with them, for they are from a small town, and I LOVE small-town America. I wished them all luck in their research.

A few days later came my favorite day of the year!! I LOVE Thanksgiving!!! I love the feelings, the smells, the wonderful aromas drifting from the kitchen, the feeling of wanting to return home. Sometimes I wish I could return to my mom and dad's home just for a little bit.

We rode up to sister Ferne's place with Jean and Earl. It just makes more sense to all travel together when we're going to the same place. I wasn't feeling particularly well that day - it all goes back to the bowel obstruction I had a couple of years ago. I did the best I could to keep a chipper face, for I didn't want to be a downer. I didn't really care how I felt. I was just so thankful to be with family - and that I have a family to be with.

The next day at the temple was another one of the busiest ever. The day after Thanksgiving typically is. I'm so glad I wasn't out with the shoppers who braved the crowds on Black Friday. I used to do that with all of my kids, but no more.

And now for the reason I am writing this a day late:

It was 29 years ago today that Kerry and I were holding a sweet baby girl in our arms.

Peter was 2 1/2 years old, and we were ready for another baby. From the very beginning, we knew this baby would be a girl. Don't ask me how - we just knew. So, on the evening of 28 Nov 1981, the nesting urges began and I was washing the clothes and cleaning the house. Bob and Linda Rivers came to pick up Peter, and Kerry took me to the hospital about 9:00 pm.

It was to be a long night. A very, very long night. The pain was the worst I had ever felt, and would ever feel. Due to some complications, they could give me no epidural or pain medications of any kind. I can remember the doctor saying, "We're losing them both..."

We both survived. She was my only child born with hair, yet they had to shave part of her pretty little brown hair off to give her vitamin K.

She played baby Jesus in our church's Christmas play that year. While "Mary" was singing a lullaby to her, she sneezed in Mary's face.

We didn't have much money that year for Christmas, but there is one memory that will always stay in my mind. I had fed her and bundled her up in her little sleeper and blanket and placed her under the Christmas tree. She laid there so sweetly looking up at the lights. Soon, Peter came over and laid beside her. He began talking to her and stroking her little hands and face. I sat there with tears in my eyes as I thought about how rich Kerry and I were.

Now, Mr. Kerry is on his way to Oregon to bring her home. So, once more we will welcome sweet Harmony into our home again. She's been away for a number of years - in the Army, out of the Army, in Hawaii, in Oregon... But now, it's time to come home and recharge for a bit.

And, it's okay. Come on home...
Harmony on her first day of life. I was 26 years old.
Harmony at 3 months
Peter and Harmony, when he realized she was here to stay

Harmony at just about a year
She and Peter all dressed up to go to church
What a happy little baby girl
Harmony at about 3 years old
She liked cats - they didn't always like her
Kerry and Harmony on the day he baptized her at age 8
She traveled all over the country with us
This is my all-time favorite picture of Harmony. We had lots of campouts and cookouts in our back field. Sister Jean had given us some day-old donuts, so Harmony put one on a stick and roasted it. It was actually pretty good...
A happy-go-lucky girl...
She and Peter used to sing together
She was named after her Aunt Harmony, Kerry's youngest sister
Harmony at graduation
She was in the cast in the Hill Cumorah Pageant
She served her country
Come on home, Harmony. Your room is ready and your warm bed with flannel sheets is waiting for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment