Sunday, November 7, 2010

The home of the brave...

This has been a week to be thankful that we live in America. How privileged we are to be able to worship, to speak and to vote as we feel is the right way. And, what a blessing to be living here. I was fortunate to be born here, as well. I have been blessed richly.

Kerry and I did our patriotic duty by voting, then enjoyed the rest of a busy week. We ran quite a few errands this week, I worked with some people on music for the holidays, and we kicked back and relaxed a few days, too. It was very, very cold on some days, but this week we will be experiencing Indian summer. They call it Indian summer because the pioneers and early settlers would spent the end of summer and early fall preparing for the coming winter. They gathered up foodstores and made clothing that would keep them warm. Then, after a killing frost or a hoar frost, there would usually be one more short gap of warm weather. That's when the Indians would play out their last attacks on the settlers - hence, Indian summer.

Aren't I smart? Well, it appears that way...

Again, I have been surprised by the number of people commenting on the little historical missives I have been putting at the end of my missives. Last week's adventure of a young Kerry in the bathtub seemed to strike a resonance. I am saving all of these and putting them into a separate file. Perhaps someone will want them compiled someday. Who knows?

However, this week's historical missive is one that has been printed before. And, I will print it again and again, for it is near and dear to my heart. It is long. It is my salute to the veterans in my family, whose special holiday we will all celebrate this Thursday. If you know of any that I have left out, PLEASE do not hesitate to let me know. They deserve to be remembered...

I am the descendant, the mother, the sister-in-law and the relative of many, many good men and women who served our country. The older I get, the more I come to appreciate the great sacrifice they were willing to make to make and keep our country safe. Some joined in times of war. Some joined in times of peace, but were ready to defend in case of war. Here is my salute to them:
Chester Clemens - my father, who served at Pearl Harbor in WWII
Orson Lauritzen - Kerry's father, who served on a ship near Japan in WWII
Harmony and Jordan - my two middle children who served in the Army
Erik - our youngest son who served in the Army
Kerry's brother, Bill, who was killed in a Jeep accident in Germany at age 19
Kerry's brother, Steve - who served in Viet Nam
Kerry's brothers, Kelly - Lt. Col. in the Army (w/wife, Marion) and Chris - Col. in the Air Force
Kerry's sister, Charm - who I believed served in the Army (or National Guard?)
Paul, who is the son of Kerry's brother, Chris
Brendan, who is the son of Kerry's brother, Chris
Pete - husband of sister, Betty, who served in the Air Force
'
Jim, husband of sister Ferne, who served in the Navy
Jack Monihan - Kerry's uncle, married to Orson's sister, Olive
Vaughn Kent Lauritzen - brother of Kerry's father, Orson
Wilson Lauritzen - brother of Kerry's father, Orson
This is a true story published that happened to my Dad in World War II as related by the Prophet Spencer W. Kimball. (related by Lita Lauritzen Burton)

Priesthood Power

"Priesthood nor its power knows the limitations of national boundaries. This was demonstrated many times in the conflict known as World War II. This is the story from the lips of Wilson P. Lauritzen:

We were fighting in the 'Battle of the Bulge' near the town of Ammonius, Belgium. By that time the Germans were on the defensive. We had just succeeded in cutting off or surrounding a sector of the German line. They were surrendering in large numbers. As we were disarming the soldiers, one of them said to me in broken English: 'Would you know if there are any Mormon soldiers in your unit?' I replied, 'Yes, I am a Mormon.' He asked, 'Do you hold the Priesthood?' 'Yes, I do,' I answered. 'I was married in the temple.' 'Would you be so kind as to come with me to that shell hole over there and administer to my buddy? He is pretty well shaken up, and pretty badly wounded.' Of course I consented to go. We found that his buddy was in a bad condition and was suffering much pain. Then the two of us, who a few short hours before had been on opposite sides in the bitter struggle, knelt down and administered to the wounded lad. And as we did so, I felt the spirit of the Lord very strongly. I know that that feeling was shared by them, too. As we finished, the litter-bearers were there. We lifted the broken body to the stretcher. Then our ways parted: the wounded boy was taken to the hospital; the German solder was sent back with other prisoners, and I went on with my other duties."

By Spencer W. Kimball Story Teller's Scrapbook Compiled by Albert L. Zobell
Richard Stevens - youngest brother of my mom, Ida Stevens Clemens
Thearl Stevens and wife Bertha - favorite brother of my mom, Ida
Thomas Clemens - son of my dad's oldest brother, Russell
Charles Clemens - my dad's brother
Edd Walker - granduncle of my dad, Chester Clemens
Will Walker - son of the above Edd Walker

Levi Wheeler Cline - one of my grandfathers in the Civil War
Dr. Thomas Walker - an early American explorer who we "may" connect as a shirttail relative
Robert H Stephens - one of my grandfathers who was in the Civil War
John Mullins - another one of my grandfathers

Oh, there are many, many more whose pictures I don't have, but commemorate this missive to their memory, anyway. I have found wonderful stories about them, and will include a couple of those.

!HAMMAN, PHIL. On Saturday, July 3, 1830, the fifty-fifth anniversary of American independence was celebrated at Bellefonte, Jackson Co, AL, at which among other participants were several Revolutionary patriots. After the reading of the Declaration of Independence by Henry F. Scruggs and the delivery of an oration by Hon. Samuel Moore, the company sat down to a plentiful dinner. After this many patriotic toasts were drunk. Only one, and that because of the historic fact it evoked, is here produced:

"By L. James, Esq. 'Capt. Phil HAMMAN: The Savior of Greenbrier - tho' his history is but little known, his intrepidity and patriotism are not let worthy of our commendation.' After the drinking of this toast, the old soldier rose and said: He thanked the gentlemen for introducing his name on an occasion where he had already been too much honored. Tho' his history was not much known, he could not object to have the transactions of his life divulged to the world. For nine years he had been in the wars of his country - during a greater part of which he had been engaged in the most dangerous parts of Indian service. He had suffered much; on one occasion he had been stripped by savage rapacity of every vestige of property he possessed, even the clothing of himself and family - one of his children fell a victim to their cruelty. But not to dwell on the dangers he had endured, he would merely speak of the occasion so kindly alluded to in the toast. When stationed at Fort Randolph, at the mouth of the Big Kanawha, nine hundred Indians set off in a body to make an unexpected attack on the inhabitants of Greenbrier, Virginia. Two men were dispatched to apprize the people in that quarter of their approaching danger. In three days they returned, wounded, and in despair; others were sought for who would carry the express; none were found willing to engage in so dangerous and hopeless an undertaking when he and one John Pryor (who was afterwards killed by the Indians) painted and dressed in Indian garb set off, and in forty-eight hours travelled one hundred and sixty miles through the wilderness; they overtook the Indians within twelve miles of the white settlements, passed through their camps, and gave timely warning to the people of their impending danger. Such preparations were made for security and defense as the occasion permitted. About daylight a violent attack was made on Fort Donley; the conflict was desperate - the door of the Fort was broken open - he stood in it, and resisted the enemy - 'till it could be shut and fasted. The foe were repelled with great loss, and the country saved from savage barbarity. He said that although he was old and poor, and had not received the compensation promised him by his country, yet he thanked God he was in peace and safety, and could live 'without the aid of public or private charity.' He then offered the following sentiment: "OUR RULERS: May they be just men, fearing God, and hating covetousness." Southern Advocate, Huntsville, July 10, 1830.
Zachariah Johnston's beautiful home, which is on the Historical Register and is for sale for $1,750,000 (I WANT it!) was a wonderful patriot.
Johnston was a prosperous farmer by the time the American Revolution began. In 1776, he was appointed a captain in the county militia. Johnston's company actively patrolled against Indian uprisings, and, in 1781, participated in the Virginia campaign which led to Lord Cornwallis' surrender. Representing Augusta County in the House of Delegates from 1778 to 1791, Johnston was chair of the House committee on religion and helped pass the "act for establishing religious freedom" in 1786.
Zechariah JOHNSTON was a personal friend and political ally of Thomas Jefferson. His presentation of the Hanover Memorials to the Virginia Assembly and his advocating the ideas of religious freedom held by his constituents, no doubt, had very great weight with Mr. Jefferson in formulating his bill "for establishing religious freedom," which became law in 1786. Mr. Jefferson, when leaving for a federal appointment, left his bill for religious liberty in the capable hands of James Madison."Mr. Chairman, I am a Presbyterian, a rigid Presbyterian as we are called; my parents before me were of the same profession; I was educated in that line. Since I became a man, I have examined for myself; and I have seen no cause to dissent. But, sir, the very day that the Presbyterians shall be established by law, and become a body politic, the same day Zachariah JOHNSTON will be a dissenter. Dissent from that religion I cannot in honesty, but from that establishement I will." And his name goes down to posterity in favor of the passage of the act for establishing Religious Freedom.One of his famous statements:
"Mr. Chairman, I am a Presbyterian, a rigid Presbyterian as we are called; my parents before me were of the same profession; I was educated in that line. Since I became a man, I have examined for myself; and I have seen no cause to dissent. But, sir, the very day that the Presbyterians shall be established by law, and become a body politic, the same day Zachariah JOHNSTON will be a dissenter. Dissent from that religion I cannot in honesty, but from that establishement I will." And his name goes down to posterity in favor of the passage of the act for establishing Religious Freedom.
May God bless these good men and women. I honor them, and will continue to honor them by posting this missive each and every time it is appropriate. And, as a genealogist, I will continue to look for and will find many more.

Bless their good hearts!
Taken at the Arizona Memorial, Pearl Harbor, HI on our trip to see Harmony, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment