Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cozy evenings at home...

Autumn continues to be beautiful here in the Ohio! Though the colors are not quite as resplendent as in years past, they still continue to take my breath away. The muted colors usually happen when there has not been enough rain.

We spent some time getting our house ready for winter this week. Even though the days are warm, they're not always going to be warm. Before we know it, the wind will be howling and it will be cold enough for coats.

But, Tuesday we went to the temple with Fern and Betty. They haven't been able to go for awhile, due to some health concerns either they or their husbands have been battling. We had a nice easy day, followed by dinner at Mimi's - one of our favorite Columbus eateries.

Wednesday was one of our favorite days - another rummage sale!!! Kerry and I LOVE rummage sales! We find all sorts of treasures. I particularly like a used clothing store in Bellville, where you can fill your bag for $2. I've discovered some real finds - items from lots of name-brand companies.

Thursday was a fun day - we drove to Washington Court House to watch JJ play tag football. We LOVED watching these little guys play!!! They were so cute. I also fixed chicken, potato salad, and red velvet cupcakes for everyone's dinner. That saved Melissa (who didn't feel that good anyway) from having to worry about dinner for everyone. I think they liked it, for they didn't turn down the leftovers.

Hike!

Look at him run!

Justin and Jayden

Learning about football from grandpa...

The grandboys went to the pumpkin patch to choose their pumpkins.

We had the most delightful surprise a couple of weeks ago. We received a porcelain replica of the Washington Temple from a company in northern Utah. There was no card with it. I told Kerry he must have ordered it and forgotten it. He told me I must have ordered it and forgotten it. No matter who ordered it - it was beautiful!

We later learned that Miss Harmony was the one who ordered it!!! It now sits in a place of prominence in our living room on our "Kerry and Peggy" table. Behind it is a hand-painted Russian egg that Erik asked a member in Russia to paint for our 27th anniversary. We treasure those items - and anything else that reminds us of our sweet marriage.

I really appreciate all of the comments sent to me about my memory of my dad and the coal mines last week. I suppose I will continue these little additions to my weekly missives.

And now for this week:

My mother was a force to be reckoned with! You just didn't mess with mom - or one of her babies.

One night, she and I were on our way home from church, where I had attended my weekly youth meeting. I needed some notebook paper, and we didn't have Walmarts or anything like that in those days. We did have a little corner grocery store, where one could buy penny candy, shoelaces, etc.

She happened to miss the driveway, but it didn't matter, for the next drive also connected to the little store. There was a bit of a grassy field between the parking lot and the store. I walked through the little field and headed for the front door.

Before reaching the door, there was a wall of decorative concrete block. As I rounded that wall, I happened upon 3-4 teenage boys who were circling around on their bikes. I squared up, went through them, went into the store and bought my paper.

When I came back out, those boys were still there. They were off their bikes, and now they circled around me, calling me names and poking me in the chest. I was mortified, for I was sure they were going to do terrible things to me. I was also sure mom couldn't see me because of the decorative wall.

In the blink of an eye, I heard something akin to a bull crashing through the field and headed toward me. It was my mom! Smoke was coming from her nostrils and her ears, and her boobs were swinging back and forth something fierce with her arms pumping away. (You get the picture!) When those boys turned around to see what it was, they saw the look on her face and knew they were dead meat if they didn't get out of there quick. Mom grew up being the oldest of a family that had SIX BOYS, plus a little sister that died at 3 years old. To mom, taking on these boys were nothing compared to what she had grown up with.

I was never so relieved to see my mom in my whole life. I don't know what those boys would have done. But, as long as my mom was nearby, those boys were close to being ground down into a greasy spot!


Till next week...
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment