Monday, November 1, 2010

A busy, busy week!


This week was a bit busier than usual. But, we had a lot of fun and enjoyed some times with good friends.

Tuesday found me having lunch with my good friend, Pat Bowen. She's my visiting teacher, but she's also my friend. Neither of us had been to Cracker Barrel in awhile, so that's where we met. It was on the day when the wind was blowing hard across the central United States. The gusts were strong. And, while we were eating, it began to rain with a fierceness. Tornado warnings were out everywhere. One of them struck real, real close to Jordan and Melissa's house in southwestern Ohio. It blew their shed down and part of their fence. Thank goodness all of us were safe - including Erik and my sisters.

The next day, I ate with Karen Keck. She and I love to go out to lunch. We don't do it very often, but when we do - we pick up right where we left off. She's a lot of fun, too.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday found us in Columbus. Friday was our temple day, and we enjoyed the time we had both this week and last week with members of the Temple Presidency. This would be our last time working with them, for our new Temple Presidency begins their assignments on Monday.

Saturday, Kerry returned to work at the temple for 8 hours. They had asked if he would be able to, and he readily said yes! We have many new workers that need training, but during that training there is still a need for continuity in the work. We now have over 600 workers for our little temple!

He also didn't mind working, for it was the 66th anniversary of his parents' marriage. He felt that was honoring them, as well.

Orson and Shirley Lauritzen, shortly after their marriage in 1944.

All of the little trick-or-treaters were out and about Saturday evening. It reminded me so much of when all of our little ones would dress up and go out to beg for candy. I usually stayed at the house while Kerry took them out - either in the back of his pickup truck or in our van with the side door and the back door open.

Kerry and Peter and Harmony

Now, it's all of the little grandchildren that we get to enjoy seeing all dressed up!

JJ

Jayden


Justin


From bottom left going up: Shyanna, Bella, Christina, Angel, Ben

It was also a makeover week! I got sick of my hair and had about 4 inches cut off. I'll post a picture of it next week.

And, dear Melissa got 10 inches of her hair cut off and donated to Locks-of-Love. She looks adorable!


Melissa - I love her hair no matter what the length!

Now, it's time to bring all of this election stuff to a close. I'm tired of the adds, the phone calls, the mail, the email, the slandering and mudslinging. I've known who I'm going to vote for since mid-summer. Y'all quit bothering me.

But, I'm also grateful to live in a free country where we have the opportunity to vote.

This month, we wish a happy birthday to:
Ida - my mom - Nov 1 (she would have been 97 years old!!!)
Bill - Kerry's brother who died in Germany at age 19 - Nov 2
Mary Kay - my genealogy friend who died about 4-5 years ago - Nov 2
Ryan - Betty's grandson - Nov 3
Sarah - d/o Kerry's brother, David - on a mission in New Zealand - Nov 12
Noelle - g-dau of Kerry's sister, Content - Nov 27
Danette - d-i-l of Kerry's sister, Joy - Nov 27
Dane - s/o Kerry's brother, Kelly - Nov 28
Brett - s/o Kerry's sister, Joy - Nov 29
Miss Harmony! - our daughter!!! - Nov 29

And a happy anniversary to:
Content and Larry - Kerry's sister and b-i-l - Nov 28

And now, for my memory missive for this week!!!

This memory is not mine - it's Kerry's. But every time he tells me about it, I can't help laughing.

When Kerry was somewhere between ten and twelve years old, he decided to take a bath while his mom was cooking in the kitchen close by. He was #5 out of eleven children, so I'm sure her plate was pretty full most of the time.

Apparently the bathroom and the kitchen were fairly close in proximity, so she could hear when Kerry went in there to begin running the water. She called back to him to ask him how full it was.

He answered, saying that it was halfway. (In truth, it was halfway - but not halfway up - it was halfway to the back of the tub.)

She told him to immediately turn it off. (She thought it was halfway up the side of the tub.)

He said, "But, mom..."

She replied, "Kerry, please just turn the water off!"

Being the ever obedient child, he did it without complaint. This big ol' strapping boy took a bath in about two cups of water!!! He got clean enough, and his mom just never knew...

I'll bet she does now.

Kerry - at just about the age mentioned above...

No comments:

Post a Comment