Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snowbound!

Brrr! We are burrowed up in our warm, cozy home while the winds blow and howl and the snow piles up. This is truly winter in Ohio. And, it reminds me of the winters I grew up with.

I sometimes felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder, for there were times when the snow was nearly up to the top of our long, skinny windows. My dad had to burrow a tunnel out our front door one time so he could get out to his truck and put chains on his tires. He was not one to be late for work. He just made sure he got up earlier if the weather was bad.

This was Miss Harmony's first full week at home, and I have been so grateful to have her here. She has been very helpful and easy to get along with as she finds her niche with us again. This afternoon found her out shoveling the walks and the driveway. She was a machine!

We have also enjoyed some shopping, some really good meals, and the Christmas party at the church Friday night. And, while Kerry and I were at the temple on Friday, she took care of some things around the house for us.

Yep, it's good having her here.

We spent a long and cozy afternoon at home today, for church was let out early today due to the snowstorm. Our evening was spent wrapping presents.

I am thank Kerry's sister Joy let me know about her grandson Garin's birthday on Dec 31, I didn't have him on my list!!! Thank you so much for that, for I really want to know if I'm leaving anyone out. I may be a genealogist, but the living are important to me, too!

And now, for this week's memory missive:

Jordan, our third child, was an absolute doll. He was cuddly, bright, charming, and could worm his way into just about anyone's heart. To see him was to love him.

One of the things I remember took place around our dinner table. It was a place of a lot of festivity and talking. We would ask about each other's day, about the best part of their day, Kerry would ask questions about US History, the Gospel, give them math problems, etc.

But, each meal began with a prayer - asking the Lord's blessing on the food and showing our gratitude for it.

One day, it was Jordan's turn to say the blessing on the food. Like many little children are prone to do, he folded his arms on the table, plopped his head down on them, and proceeded to pray. The problem was that his mouth and voice were pointed toward the floor.

No one could hear or understand anything.

At the end of it, he raised his head up and looked around. I had one eye open, so I knew the prayer was over. Everyone said "Amen" except me.

I told him, "Jordan, I'm not going to say amen because I didn't hear a word you said."

He looked at me and said, "I wasn't talking to you!"

Jordan. You gotta love him...
A happy little feller...
At just about the age the "prayer" happened.

He and Erik have always been close - just 10 months apart in age.
On a trip to Utah.
Loving his Aunt Harmony.
He can still give you this look when he's sizing you up.
I caught him reading all the time.
Sizing up his new baby brother, just 10 months younger than him.

And today, he is a really good husband to Melissa and a fun father to the three little grandboys.

You gotta love Jordan!

No comments:

Post a Comment