Sunday, November 8, 2009

No Pain No Gain...

It was a busy week, and a good week.

Tuesday began with a series of injections from a Pain Management Doctor that I have been referred to. An x-ray machine is used to find the exact spot they need to go into. Someone asked me if it was painful - and it really isn't. A warm shower the next day was very soothing. He said I would notice a difference by the end of the week - and I did!

That evening was a treat for us! Kerry's brother, Chris, was in Dayton for a few days at the Air Force Base. He is a Col. and Clinical Flight Commander of the Dental Squadron. He had contacted us awhile back and wanted to know if we would be free for dinner. We met in Columbus, where Jordan and Melissa and the grandboys joined us. Erik had exams, but joined us a bit later. It was wonderful.

His wife, Kristy, had originally planned on joining us, but was in Utah for the birth of a new baby they're adopting!

Chris and Kristy and Miss Elena!

Earlier in the day, we had our jeep towed to get it fixed. When Jordan asked what was wrong, the only thing I could think of was harmonious baklava. Jordan looked at me and said, "Do you think you might mean harmonic balancer?" Probably. But, he knew what I meant.

Kerry was off on Wednesday, and we got lots of errands accomplished - one of which was his yearly doctor appointment with a neurologist. He had Parkinson-like symptoms awhile back, but it appears not to be the case. They are controlling the tremors with medication.

I picked up Eddie from the spa after shelling out a bunch of money for the harmonious baklava.

Friday was wonderful at the temple, but I was pretty tired when I got home. I slept pretty good through the night until Kerry was thrashing around in his sleep and knocked me in the nose and my right eye. I was cattywampus the rest of the day. But, we thoroughly enjoyed our Stake Conference Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Imagine my joy when I received many comments on a newspaper column I had been chosen to write! http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20091108/OPINION/911080305/Opinion-Shapers--Make-your-home-and-family-top-priorities

And now, I feel I must include my gratitude for the many veterans we will be honoring this week. I have many in my family and in Kerry's - some of which are still actively serving. This section will include lots of pictures, so here we go with a salute to them all:
Kerry's family is first...
His father, Orson (mother Shirley), who was mostly in the Pacific Ocean around a lot of Japanese ships. He prayed mightily that he would always be safe. The ship ahead of his hit a mine. He always felt his life was preserved.
Kerry's oldest brother, Bill, who was killed in a jeep accident in Germany when he was just 19 years old. Kerry was 13 years old at the time.
Kerry's brother, Steve (I don't have a picture of him in uniform). He served in the Army in Vietnam.
Kerry's brothers, Kelly (and wife, Marion) and Chris. Kelly is a Major in the Army, Chris is a Colonel in the Air Force.
Kerry's sister, Charm, was in the National Guard.

Kerry's nephews, Brendan and Paul (sons of Chris).
Kerry's uncle Jack Monihan, married to his father's sister, Olive.
Kerry's uncle Vaughn Kent Lauritzen, brother of his father, Orson.
Kerry's uncle Wilson and brother of his father, Orson.
An interesting story from our Young Women's Manual concerning Wilson:
“We were fighting in the ‘Battle of the Bulge’ near the town of Ammonius, Belgium. By that time the Germans were on the defensive. We had just succeeded in cutting off or surrounding a sector of the German line. They were surrendering in large numbers. As we were disarming the soldiers, one of them said to me in broken English: ‘Would you know if there are any Mormon soldiers in your unit?’ I replied, ‘Yes, I am a Mormon.’ He asked, ‘Do you hold the priesthood?’ ‘Yes, I do,’ I answered. ‘I was married in the temple.’ ‘Would you be so kind as to come with me to that shell hole over there and administer to my buddy? He is pretty well shaken up, and pretty badly wounded.’ Of course I consented to go. We found that his buddy was in a bad condition and was suffering much pain. Then the two of us, who a few short hours before had been on opposite sides in the bitter struggle, knelt down and administered to the wounded lad. And as we did so, I felt the spirit of the Lord very strongly. I know that that feeling was shared by them, too. As we finished, the litter-bearers were there. We lifted the broken body to the stretcher. Then our ways parted: the wounded boy was taken to the hospital; the German soldier was sent back with the other prisoners, and I went on with my other duties” (as quoted by Spencer W. Kimball, in Albert L. Zobell, Jr., Storyteller’s Scrapbook [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1948], pp. 112–13).

And now for my family:
My father, Chester, who served in Pearl Harbor, HI.
Harmony and Jordan, at Jordan graduation from Fort Benning, GA.
Erik, at his graduation from Fort Jackson, SC.
My mom's brother,Thearl Stevens, (and Bertha, his wife).
My dad's brother, Charles.
My dad's great-uncle, Edd Walker.
Edd's son, Will.
One of my grandfathers, Levi Wheeler Cline.
Dr. Thomas Walker, a shirttail relative of mine from the mid-1750's.

I hold these men and women in great esteem, for they put their lives on the line on a daily basis for the freedoms we enjoy today. As an honor to them, I have turned one of my bedrooms into a "military bedroom", and have their pictures, as well as a few more, hanging there. I would love to be able to find more pre-Civil War photos or depictions, and am constantly on the prowl for them.

Bless their good hearts.

Love to y'all...
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment