Sunday, November 29, 2009

First the blade and then the ear

And what a wondrous Thanksgiving week this has been!

I'm telling you, I absolutely love this holiday. And, our family has never been one to push it out of the way to get ready for Christmas. We certainly need to remember to give thanks for every single part of our lives - the trials as well as the blessings.

The best part of this week was that Mr. Kerry had every day of it off!

It began with a bit of disheartening news on Monday. It looks as though I will have to have surgery on this back of mine. It is not healing - it is getting worse. There are times that my leg just absolutely gives out on me. I cannot feel the pedals when I play the organ. If I am pitched forward brushing my teeth or washing dishes, it is all I can do to straighten myself back up when I'm finished.

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 22 - the Tuesday before Christmas. I will be in a back brace for three months and will not be able to lift anything over 5 lbs. There are a lot more details I don't want to bore you with - but rest assured, I will be fine.

And...if I'm going to be in a back brace for all that time, I'd rather it be in the middle of winter than in the middle of summer!

I've been without a stove/oven for two weeks now, and it's driving me nuts. So, Tuesday, Mr. Kerry and I went out and bought a stove that will be delivered next week. It will be nice to bake again! After running a few more errands, we spent the rest of the day attacking our basement.

And what a delightful time we had on Wednesday! Since Jordan would be working on Thanksgiving, they had to celebrate a day early. We arrived at their house about noon and walked into the most wonderful smells of Thanksgiving. Kerry and I enjoyed the grandboys - we played cars with them, read to them, laid on their beds and listened to them talk and show us their treasures, and rolled footballs and basketballs back and forth. So precious!

Jordan and Melissa

Erik and Jordan and Mr. Kerry

Erik and Jayden, Jordan, Me, Kerry, JJ, Justin
To avoid some of the heavy traffic on the interstate, we came home through some country roads and enjoyed Christmas lights and dodging deer.

The very next morning, we left with Jean and Earl to travel to Akron. We have enjoyed Thanksgiving Day with Steve and Keri (son and d-i-l) for several years, and this year was no different. We had such a nice time with them and their two children, Spenser and Sydnee.

Earl, Jean, Spenser, Steve and Sydnee
This year, they fixed a turkey like I learned to a few years ago from an article written by Trisha Yearwood. I used one of those blue granite roasters (with a good fitting lid - doesn't have to "seal"). Put the turkey in the oven after adding 2 cups of water. Cook for 500 degrees for one hour. Turn it off and don't open the oven door. I said don't open the oven door.

When I go to church, I put it in at 7:30 am, turn it off at 8:30 am, and when we return at about 1:15 pm, it's falling off the bone.

I will never fix it any other way.

After two wonderfully relaxing days, it was time to go to work at the temple on Friday. Julia Hoffman joined us, and we were all glad we weren't out there shopping like. I used to be one of "those". It was busy, but tender at the temple. Kerry returned again on Saturday to work.

Church was good today, but I was a wee bit tired. I laid down for a bit and seemed to get myself recharged.

I had Harmony on my mind today. It was just 28 years ago today that she entered this world. My feelings are always tender on the days representing the births of each of my children. It was no different today.

Little Miss Harmony - just a few days old!

When she was about six years old at Christmastime.

In the back yard eating a roasted donut.

When she was in the Hill Cumorah Pageant at age 18.

Yeah, she's on my mind today.

There's someone else on my mind for this coming week. On Tuesday, it will be 32 years ago that Mr. Kerry and I were married!! We were both working in the Washington Temple. Kerry had served his mission in the Delaware/Maryland Mission, was one of the first ones to be hired on at the temple, and his mission president was also the temple president. He married us, too.

Washington DC Temple

This is the guy I fell in love with. This was taken in Aug 1977 in Bryce Canyon. His parents took us there for the day so we could all get to know each other better.

This is us on our wedding day - Dec 1, 1977. We were smitten. We still are!

And this is us - 32 years later. I'm telling you, he is truly the best person I've ever known. I'm a better each day because of him.

Now we are truly entering the Christmas season - and it's a bit different for all of us this year. Perhaps it will help us all remember the Savior, whose birth we celebrate.

This month, we wish a happy birthday to:
Chris - Kerry's brother - Dec 8
Sydnee - Jean's granddaughter - Dec 8

And a happy anniversary to:
US - Dec 1
Steve & Keri - Jean's son and d-i-l - Dec 7


Love to y'all...........
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment