Thursday, February 25, 2010

Melting Pot

After wallowing through over two feet of snow, we are finally seeing a bit of a meltdown! We've had icicles as big as organ pipes hanging all around our house. They're actually kind of pretty, but can certainly wreak some havoc if allowed to stay. Kerry knocks them off each evening when he returns home.

Kerry has been out there each day walking through this snow - but this is the last year!!! Just 45 more days, if anyone's counting. He has come home with some injuries from the hazards of walking in deep snow - most of which are on his head. He slips on steps, sidewalks, runs into tree branches, fell on his elbow (had a big, gooey pouch like Popeye's), and a few other mishaps. And, this year I've noticed he's a little bit more tired than I've seen in years' past.

He treated me like a queen for Valentine's Day. For several days prior, he had been telling me not to fix a thing for that Sunday's dinner. He was in charge of it all. He had me stay in another part of the house while he fixed it - and what a tender surprise it was. He had prepared salad, pepper cheese, salisbury steaks, mashed potatoes, hominy, sparkling grape juice, a wonderful Valentine booklet full of some of our love letters to each other, a giant heart-shaped box of chocolates, Skinny Cow fudgesicles - all by candlelight. After a week, I am still on a high! He absolutely did his best to express his love for me. But, this is not just a once a year thing for him - this is how he naturally is. Bless his sweet and gentle heart...

I also had a wonderful progress report from the surgeon who operated on my back. He took x-rays and said that things really look great. Just six more weeks of wearing this brace, then I begin physical therapy.

We certainly had a bit of a scare yesterday. Jordan has had tachycardia since he was in high school. This rapid heart rate caused some pretty big lumps in our throats, for every now and then there would be news of a basketball player dying on the court from the same thing. I had taken him to a heart doctor, who had him wear a holter monitor for 24 hours - but nothing ever showed up. But, it continued to happen through the years with his heart rate reaching 256 beats per minute at one time.

Melissa called yesterday, and said that they had called from the prison to report that Jordan had a heart attack and was being sent to Riverside Hospital. Oh! Not another son!! Kerry forgot to take his phone to work, so I went over to find him on the route. He said that my thought was the very first thing that ran through his mind, too. We prepared to leave when he got home.

Soon after, Jordan called us to tell us he was being released. He had only been putting in his contacts in the restroom, turned around to walk out, and it hit him. It lasted about five minutes, then went away - same as the others. Then, it hit him again and lasted longer. He is scheduled for a consult and a heart catheterization soon. Apparently, they will purposely send his heart into tachycardia again, then shock it - hoping it will shock it back into normalcy.

I'm a bit nervous.

And, another sad note. Jean's daughter-in-law, Keri, lost her brother after a seven year battle with lupus. I feel so bad for the family, for it has certainly been heart-renching to see this young 39-year man die. He had a family, which makes it even harder. His kidneys were failing, and Keri volunteered to donate one of hers, which she did. Unfortunately, it was rejected. But, what a wonderful act of love she did in trying to save her brother. Bless his heart in trying to do anything he could to live. I am so grateful I have not lost any of my siblings. Here's his obituary: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100221/OBITUARIES/2210326/1023

I also feel for his parents.

Now begins a new week. February has been a dreary month, but it has afforded me much time to be in my home, and I always cherish that time. Thank you for all the comments on my newspaper article - I have truly received more than I ever expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment