Sunday, April 4, 2010

He is risen!

Today was one of the prettiest Easters ever. What better way to commemorate the Lord's resurrection than enjoying the renewal of the earth during springtime. All things testify of Him. How grateful we all should be at the sacrifice He made marvelous gift of the Atonement for every single one of us.

Once again, we gathered up on the shores of Lake Erie at sister Fern's house to enjoy a tremendous Easter feast. My little Ohio family was there, meaning Jordan and his family, along with Erik and his friend, Oscar.

It was a bit of a challenge getting all three of the grandboys to look in the same direction at the same time. They were so cute today - and so, so good.

Part of Betty's little family was there, too - Justin, Erin and Baby Vanessa.

Fern has a circular staircase in her home, and Kerry rammed his head into it. He's fine with hardly a mark. The staircase is fine, too.

I got a good picture of Jean and Earl so they could post in the newspaper that their 50th wedding anniversary is this year. Their friends, Pat and Patty, had their picture in the paper today celebrating their 50th - Happy Anniversary this week, Pat!

And of course, the Sisterhood - Fern, Jean, Betty, Peggy. Harmony started calling us that years ago. I guess it stuck.

It was also Mr. Kerry's last week at work. Oh, I can't tell you how happy we are that this day has arrived! Lots of people have asked me if I think I will get sick of him. I don't think so - we're pretty good friends, we are not joined at the hip - meaning we love spending time together, but still have our own interests apart from each other, we are not mean to each other, and we genuinely like each other. Not only love, but like.




His last clocking out.

Leaving it for the last time.

Do I even need to explain this one? I wonder how many miles those feet have on them...

That evening, there was a priesthood barbecue at the church before the broadcast from Salt Lake City. I surprised Kerry with a cake for all to share, a card to sign, and the portfolio from the post office congratulating him on 30+ years of service.

Kerry has done a fine job supporting his family. When times were tight, he worked hard, even some overtime, sometimes a second job so his family would have a home to live in and food to eat.

He was out there when the weather wasn't always so nice - sometimes very, very hot. sometimes extremely cold.

But, there was one time I'll never forget. I've mentioned this before, so if it bores you, move on...When letter carriers first begin working, their clothing allowance doesn't always cover all they need. Kerry's shoes were wearing out, and we needed to just go out and buy some new ones. We didn't have a lot of money on a single income, so we went and bought what we could. After wearing them a few days, I asked how they were doing. He just said, "Well, they'll feel a little bit better when they're broken in some more." I never thought anything more about it.

Later that week, while doing laundry, I came across his socks. They were all completely stuck together and encrusted in blood. The shoes, cheaper than they should have been, had basically rubbed holes in his ankles. Hence, his socks...

He never said a word. Never complained. Never whined. He just went on doing what he was entrusted to do.

If it had been me.......Well, we all know.

When I say he is truly the best person I've ever known in my life, this is one of the countless reasons why.

Now begins a new phase of life for us. We're still basically young. We are in good health. We have three of our four children to enjoy, plus perfect, perfect grandchildren.

Yeah, life is good.....

No comments:

Post a Comment