Sunday, March 28, 2010

Big girls don't cry!

My eyes go from bone dry to dripping. The latest has been dripping.

For about three weeks, my right eye just watered and watered. My pillow was always wet. I would be wiping it while I was playing the organ. My makeup would run. I was a mess. People thought I was always crying.

I finally called the eye doctor and was able to get in that day. He suspected the tear duct was plugged and proceeded to irrigate it. When I saw what he was going to use, I nearly died. But, I never felt a thing. Finally, when I began to sputter and cough, he smiled. As it turns out, I had a tear duct stone. Apparently, he flushed it through. I had never even heard of one of those things.

Only me.

I have just finished a course of special drops to help in the healing - one eye was wet and one was bone dry. I've been cattywampus.

I had WONDERFUL news this week. I went to see the doctor who performed my back surgery in December. It was time for an x-ray and consultation. It was also the scheduled time to begin physical therapy.

After reviewing the films, seeing me do a few bends and twists, he said he felt I didn't need physical therapy. I assured him I was feeling very good, with just a few aches and pains here and there. It will be another six months or so until I'm completely healed, and my back will certainly let me know what I can and cannot do.

I began my series of classes in Bucyrus last Monday evening. Kerry and I headed over there on a very foggy night. I wondered how many people would actually show up, for rain and fog are not a good combination. But, the room was nearly full. Some were new - some were the same ones that have been coming for years.

The evening really wore me out, for I stood the whole night. I laid pretty low for the next couple of days. I surely don't want to wear out all of the good my doctor has done. Kerry left me a special message in M & M's to help me feel better.


Kerry was surprised by a wonderful breakfast the Post Office had in honor of him. They had called me the day before so that I could be in attendance. It totally surprised him, for they had gone all out in this wonderful spread! He works with the nicest bunch of people. This will be his last week - Saturday is it! Then, he's all mine!

The pink papers are a sort of "countdown" for him. The clerk began on day #40. Soon, it will be down to 0!

This is the "case" where Kerry stood and sorted about 1800-2000 letters every morning. He worked both here in Lexington and in downtown Mansfield after starting out 30 years ago in Cuyahoga Falls (just over an hour north of us). He commuted way back then, and took turns staying with sister Fern, sister Betty, and my parents. When he stayed with Fern, he slept in the basement on her pool table - the only place he's ever slept where his feet didn't hang over the edge.


His Post Office truck. His route was over in the neighborhood close to our church. Quite a few times, I would pack up the kids in the summer and we would go join daddy for a picnic in the shade of the trees at the church.

He and I both worked at the temple on Friday, driving through the snow, and when we returned, we attended the wedding of Miss Bree Mosier. She met a very nice man about a year and a half ago while both have served in the Air Force.


We didn't stay too late, for we had gotten up early. And, on Saturday, Kerry returned to the temple very early to help them with their daytime shift. Theo Venable, a very good friend of Miss Andrea Sampsel, was there for the very first time. Kerry was able to be there to help and talk with him. Andrea was able to come back from the Las Vegas area to be at the temple, too, along with her mom. After completing their work in the temple, Theo proposed to Andrea, and she accepted! There's no date yet, but she's here for a week. I'm sure they'll be talking a lot.

Church was wonderful today. We were able to hear Cameron Coxe and his family speak. He has just returned from a mission from Long Beach, CA. Tre Mosier returned awhile back and gave an excellent talk, too. As I sat there and listened to Cameron, I reflected how I'd had both of these boys in seminary. I taught them the best that I could, and now here they are instructing me. I was truly enriched.

Kerry and I stopped by the house to get Eddie, grab our lunches, and head for Columbus. There was a special temple coordinator's meeting at the temple today. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, while we were in there, one of the worker's car was broken into. It has happened a lot lately, especially in the evening hours. For the last 30 minutes, a temple worker is assigned to walk and keep an eye on the parking lot. There are now security poles and cameras in place at all 131 temples.

I hear we're going to get some spring weather this week!!! We'll see.....

This month of April, we wish a happy birthday to:
Benjamin! - our grandson!!! - April 2
Jacob - son of Kerry's brother, David - April 6
Kristy - wife of Kerry's brother, Chris - April 8
Katelyn - granddaughter of my sister, Betty - April 10
Betty - my sister - April 13
Scott - son-in-law of Kerry's brother, David - April 16
Gay - Kerry's sister, who died in 2000 - April 17
KERRY!!! - you know who you are... - April 18 *age 58
Peter - our son, who died in 2009 - April 23
Justin! - our grandson!!! - April 24
Kelly - Kerry's brother - April 27
David - Kerry's brother - April 28

And a happy anniversary to:
PT & Christie - Betty's son and d-i-l - April 19
Melody & Phillip - daughter and s-i-l of Kerry's sister, Content - April 23
Betty & Pete - my sister and b-i-l ~ April 29

No comments:

Post a Comment