Sunday, June 20, 2010

All my fathers

And a happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful dads on this list!

My mind is full of some really good memories today. Let me share:

First and foremost, I'm really grateful for Mr. Kerry, who was a really good father and a really good daddy to our four children. And - he still is. When I was only 21 years old, we met. At that time, I didn't have enough sense to look for certain qualities in a future husband ~ such as diaper duty, canning peaches at midnight, cleaning up children's messes (and I do mean messes!), holding them tight, reading stories to them, climbing trees with them, cooking breakfast over an open fire in the back yard, planning trips, teaching them to read maps, offering to help with schoolwork, ... I was young and looking at things from a romantic point of view.

But, in meeting Mr. Kerry, I got all of those things ~ and MORE! His good and tender heart has been there to help balance us all out. He's that calm and steady force that was not easily provoked, but still let the kids know if he was displeased with them. The Lord truly had something to do with our meeting, for he is the best person I've ever known.

This is him just four months before we married in 1977. His parents had taken us to Bryce Canyon, where we hiked and ate and got to know each other better. My dad had loaned me his big 35mm camera, and I took lots of pictures. When I took this one, I was astonished at how beautiful the scenery was, and I focused and snapped ~ RIGHT WHEN KERRY JUMPED OFF A ROCK! It still remains my all-time favorite.

I must also honor his dad, who in his gentle way taught me many things, as well. Kerry emulates his father a lot ~ his love for his family, the scriptures, the Church and the Lord has passed right on down into Mr. Kerry's heart. Kerry always fed whoever the baby was at the end of the table ~ just like his own father did. He is a student of the scriptures and a gospel scholar ~ just like his own father was. I miss him a lot.


My own father, Chester, was a genius. His grandfather had a talent for building. If you told him how big you wanted your house to be, he would do the calculations in his head, secure the materials, and not have so much as a splinter left over. Dad was the same way. If he needed something and either he couldn't afford it or it didn't exist ~ he would build it. The first wheat grinder I had was built by my dad. He ordered two burr stones, then went to the dump and found an old washing machine motor. With some plywood he had at home, and some belts and a switch and an oil funnel, he built one of the best wheat grinders one could ever have. That's pretty good for someone who barely finished sixth grade. I still have it, and it works fine.

Dad had four girls ~ no boys. That's a lot of estrogen in the house. He was a refrigeration/appliance repairman, in addition to working at Westinghouse during the day. Sometimes I would go on service calls with him. I learned a lot watching his patient hands do all sorts of things, for nothing to him was a rush job. He expected me to know those things, too. He taught me how to repair things. He taught me how to sew. He taught me how to bake bread. He taught me how to fish. He didn't set me down and give me a class ~ his attitude was "watch me and learn".

He worked long, hard hours ~ up at 4:30 am to be at work by 6:00 am. Being late wasn't an option. Get yourself up and get to work. And...work until you're done. Mom would have dinner ready for him at 3:00 pm, then he would do service calls all evening. He was even Bishop of our local ward during this time. After working many, many days like this, I'm sure he must have been really tired. But, I never once heard him complain. Not once. I miss him.

This was dad in 1982 on the occasion of Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary. Our good friend, Dave Talaga, said he always craved chicken when he saw my dad. (Dad had a white goatee later on)

Other fathers I have loved have been the many bishops of our local ward here in Mansfield. On occasion, Kerry and I (or just me when I was a young, unmarried adult) have sought counsel and advice from them. They have prayed with us. They have fasted with us. They have given us blessings. They have continually asked about our welfare. They have loved us.

But most of all, I am grateful for knowledge of a Heavenly Father who has shown His love for me continually from even before my birth. I am constantly amazed by the beauty of this earth, the sounds, sights, smells, and beautiful sounds that surround me each day. Even when I wonder how He can care about me and my insignificant worries when there are greater things going on in the world today, He lets me know that I really do matter to Him. I hope my efforts to be a good person are what He wants...

So, Happy Father's Day to the new dads, the old dads, the granddads, the ones who have never been a biological dad ~ but who help to foster and nurture good manly traits in others. We're grateful for you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment