Sunday, June 27, 2010

Beating the heat!

Oh, my! I take a shower and I never get dry. It's called humidity. And...it's the price we pay for our beautiful, green corner of the world.

I thought when Kerry retired that things would move at a little bit slower pace for us. Well, our bodies move a little slower ~ but life still seems to go at the same pace. But, we both love this time we get to spend with each other.

Last Monday, after taking my good friend, Alice to the hospital for her bunion surgery, I went to a wonderful luncheon at my friend, Linda's house. There were eight of us total. We each brought a little something and really enjoyed some unhurried time together. We certainly need to do a few more of those type of things.

Kerry took me for my doctor's appointment so my back could be checked. I'm not having as much pain as I did a few weeks ago, but there are times when I really have to catch my breath. When it's this hot, it's no fun going to sleep on a heating pad.

Friday was one of the fullest days at the temple we've had. Kerry and I arrived at 9:00 am - our usual time, and didn't leave to come home until 9:00 pm. We took just a bit of a break to run out for dinner, then came back so Kerry could be there to help with the fifteen youth that came for that evening. I continued to help out in other parts of the temple.

As I mingled with these youth, which range in age from 12-18 years old, I had some thoughts run through my mind. Of all of the places those youth could have been that evening - hanging out with friends, going to the movies, playing computer games, etc., they chose to be at the temple doing some important work for their ancestors. It was an honor to be with them.

But, I told Kerry I can't do too many of those 12-hour days. My body was a wee bit tired the next day.

But, not too tired to go to a graduation party. Two of our favorite people - Martin, and young man who sits with us every Sunday, and Robbie Anderson, whose family moved here when he was 2 years old - graduated after putting in some pretty long hours. Martin graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering from NC State, and Robbie graduated from High School, with all sorts of scholarships under his belt. His mother died a few years ago, but how proud she must be of him.

Today - many of us gathered for a surprise party for sister Jean and her husband Earl!!! This past Friday marked 50 years of marriage!

Their two boys, Dave and Steve, and their wives, Joan and Keri, invited all of their family and friends and we had a wonderful day eating tons of food.

Steve and Dave

Dave and Joan

Steve and Keri
They all did such a nice job on one of the hottest days of the year. Jean said on the day they were married, it was even hotter than today - 95 degrees! I was 4 years old, and the flower girl. From what I hear, I was grabbing those rose petals and throwing them like I was throwing baseballs. I clearly did not want to be doing what I was doing.

I was cute then - and some guy told me today I was cute. Some things never end.

Peggy, Betty, Jean, Fern - the Sisterhood

But, in the back of my mind, I had reflective thoughts rolling through. It was just 26 years ago today that I had a young, brand new baby boy in my arms. He was a surprise, but certainly no accident. He came just ten short months after Jordan, and was to be my last child. I always wondered if there would have been more, but the doctor told me that the Lord gave the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth to everyone - not just to Kerry and Peggy.

Here's a look back through time:

Peter and Erik

Kerry's mom told me we always need to have at least one picture of our children at a drinking fountain.

At Huntington Beach, CA.

One of Erik's favorite pictures.

One of my favorite pictures.

Roasting day-old donuts in the back yard.

He was three weeks early - thank goodness!

Erik and Jordan have always been close as brothers.

As a fine young man today.

As an OSU student, he was originally majoring in Russian with a minor in business. But, he found out if he takes three extra quarters, he will have a double major in Russian and Economics. He will graduate next spring.

In July, we wish a happy birthday to:
Jayden - our GRANDSON!!! - July 3 - he will be 3 years old
Dylan - grandson of Kerry's brother, Steve - July 3
Belen - granddaughter of Kerry's sister, Content - July 8
Me - July 8
Elyse - granddaughter of Betty - July 9
Rachelle - daughter of Kerry's sister, Joy - July 14
Adrienne - daughter of Kerry's sister, Joy - July 27
Phillip - son-in-law of Kerry's sister, Content - July 27

And a happy anniversary to:
Jordan and Melissa - our son and d-i-l - July 1 - 7 years!!!
Kristi and Lloyd - daughter and s-i-l of Kerry's brother, Steve - July 9
Rachelle and Travis - daughter and s-i-l of Kerry's sister, Joy - July 17
Fern and Jim - my sister and b-i-l - July 22
Chris and Kristi - Kerry's brother and s-i-l - July 26

Stay cool!!!!
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment