Monday, July 12, 2010

Amazing!

Oh, the joys of retirement!

After having both new tires and brakes installed on our little Ford Escape, and being grateful we could do so, we had a wonderful week.

It's wonderful being able to pick up and go. This pick-up-and-go week involved being with Jordan and his little family to celebrate Jayden's birthday! Oh, it was just three short years ago that we wondered if the little (and I do mean LITTLE) fellow was going to make it. Look at the difference in these pictures:


He arrived at 27 weeks, weighing 2 lbs 12 oz

Today - you can never tell he had such an early start to his life!

The grandboys are stairsteps - just like my own kids were. And---they can do no wrong (in their grandparents' eyes!)

We also enjoyed our usual farmer's market this week, along with a street mart. I just love looking around and seeing what I can't live without. A few weeks ago, we enjoyed a free community meal at one of the local little churches. They also have "Clothes Line" each Saturday, where one can fill a bag for $2. I've decided that instead of taking my clothes to a consignment shop, I will be donating them to this little church. They do good things for the community, and I want to give.

It was very, very hot in Ohio this week. I was particularly thankful that I didn't have to worry about Mr. Kerry delivering mail in the blistering heat. Some days, we just laid in our air-conditioned bedroom and read. It was just too, too hot.

I couldn't help but think of my own mother in all of this hot weather, for it was 55 years ago this week that she delivered me. She was 41 years old - a bit old in 1955 to start a second family.

My mom on 4 Jul 1955 - just four days before I was born.

Look how cute I used to be!

My dad, Chester, baptizing me on my 8th birthday - 1963.

And, this is me today...

I remember mom telling me about a church picnic held at a local park when I would have been about 2 years old. It might have been at the same time I was pictured in the photo above in the little stroller.

She had painted her toenails red. Bright red. At this park, there were swans - and they chased her all over the park trying to peck at her toenails. I guess they thought they were berries.

She ended up eating her picnic dinner in the car.

I always do a lot of reflecting around my birthday. This year, I again concluded that I've had a very good life.

I was raised by good parents.
I've always had a home.
I've married the man of my dreams.
I had the privilege of raising a family.
I was raised with good morals and principles, and with a knowledge of the Lord.
Kerry and I were blessed with his having a good job.
I have had good health - with a few mishaps along the way - but with good doctors and the Priesthood I have always recovered.
I have learned to love this beautiful earth. And, I do mean beautiful.
I have learned to cherish my ancestors and my descendants.
I have had times when I've been poor - but, I've always been rich.
I was born in American - in the land of freedom.

Everything that is important to have in this life - I have had. It just doesn't get much better than that.

Thank you all for the birthday wishes you sent to me. I used to get a card from my insurance agent and the man we bought a van from 20 years ago. And, Janet! Always my Janet!!!

Love to you all......
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment