Sunday, June 28, 2009

Flip Flop

I am just getting to be more of a klutz.

I taught genealogy classes all week at the OGS (Ohio Genealogical Society) Summer Camp that they offer each year. I've done it every year since they started - except for last year. It's always so good to reconnect with my genealogy friends from near and far. Curt Witcher, who is the director of the Fort Wayne, IN Genealogy Department in their library and is quite renown, was here for the first two days and did a special program at the public library Monday evening. Kerry and I attended it, and I introduced him to Kerry. We laughed, because when Kerry goes with me to research in these libraries, he never has a problem with however long I want to stay. His standard saying is, "How can anyone be bored in a library?!"

But, as I was coming home on Wednesday, my foot got hung on the threshhold and I splattered into the front hall, falling on my elbows and knees! I've been having some trouble with my feet and legs, for sometimes I just can't feel them. That's what happened when I fell - I never knew my foot was stuck. Fortunately, the only thing hurt was my pride - I'm sure the cars going by got a good view.

I must say that I'm really impressed with something - and it's usually pretty hard to impress me. Last Saturday, I attended the wedding shower of Jean's grandson's fiance (figure that one out!). Almost before I could turn around, a thank-you card had arrived for my gift! I was floored - first of all, that it came so quickly and secondly, that I even got one at all. Betty's daughter-in-law, Erin, is the only other person I have given a gift to where the thank-you card almost beat me home. Jolene's thank-you was so sweet and heartfelt, and I was so touched, for I don't know her very well. And, she's young! It was nice to be acknowledged, for sometimes one has to wonder if the gift was ever received. Thank-you's go a long way with me - that's one way to assure they'll get another gift from me in the future. If there isn't at least an acknowledgement, don't hold your breath.

Sorry. I'm old fashioned.

It was really hot this week, too! On Tuesday evening, I heard a clothes rack fall out in my attic. Just as I was going out there to fix it, the phone rang. I multi-tasked and never thought more about it.

That evening, while Kerry was at the temple, I called Eddie to walk him and he wouldn't come. I figured he was just being stubborn. But, he also wasn't at the foot of our bed the next morning. We looked under all the beds, then Kerry asked if he could have gotten out. I didn't see any way that he could.

Then, while getting ready to give up and go to my classes, I called one more time and I heard his collar and tags shake. He had been in the attic from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am!!! Good grief! I opened the door and he shot out of there like a bullet. Poor little feller...I figured his eyes were yellow from holding it in all night, so we raced outside. He would have cooked if he had remained in there all day.

Kerry and I also took a Spanish class Wednesday night from April Graves. She served her mission in Bolivia. Kerry taught me a few basic phrases when we went to Mexico and Guatemala, but we figured we both need to be a little better.

Friday was a good day at the temple. Julie Hoffman goes with me twice a month as a worker, and it's nice to have someone to ride with. We were busy, and the next day found me having some more problems with my legs. They were kind of sore.

Saturday had me reflecting, as moms are prone to do on each of their children's birthdays. Erik turned 25 yesterday - so of course, I remembered the feelings I had 25 years ago when I had a new baby boy. Moms always have a tender heart when looking back on those days. Erik was a bit of a surprise, for pregnancy didn't come easy to me. Every other one had been a miscarriage. But Erik stuck it out. He was supposed to come to our family. That made our little family young and tight - four kids under five! Oh, my - how did we do it? Why did we do it?

Because we wouldn't be the people we are today if we hadn't had a family.

He and Jordan are the same age for a couple of months - they're just 10 months apart. He was the last to be born - I couldn't have any more. It was nice knowing who the baby of the family would be. But, I also wanted to make sure Jordan had his time to be a baby, too. I didn't want him pushed off the lap too soon.



The nice thing is that my mom got to see all of her grandchildren. She died in September, when Erik was just three months old.

Church was good today. April Graves and Joseph Clark spoke on preparing for marriage - which is exactly what they are doing in preparation for their wedding August 14. I was SO impressed with each of their talks. I know their parents were proud of them.

Now we go into a new week, and a new month. Life is good, life is beautiful, and I love and appreciate each day.

This month, we wish a happy birthday to:
Baby Jayden - our grandson - Jul 3 - 2 years old!!!
Jim - Fern's husband - Jul 5
Me - Jul 8
Elyse - Betty's granddaughter - Jul 9

And a happy anniversary to:
Jordan & Melissa - Jul 1
Fern & Jim - Jul 22
Chris & Kristi - Kerry's brother and his wife - Jul 26

(Please remember that the family has gotten so big that I am not including cousins or grandchildren, for the most part. I don't always get notification when new ones arrive, and rather than leave them out, I'm mostly including those that are close at hand and immediate siblings.)

Love to ya'll
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment