Sunday, June 14, 2009

Long may she wave...

And a happy flag day to you all! I have seen the flag wave for nearly 54 years, and yet each time I see it wave it takes my breath away. We have a flag in our yard, a flag in one of my flowerpots, flag clothing, patriotic pictures from different events in American history throughout our home, etc.

Don't mess with my flag!

It has been a good week. Kerry and I readied the house for some Relief Society sisters that came here on Tuesday evening as part of a progressive dinner. Our house was one of the ones for the dinner portion, with the appetizers and desserts being at a different home. One of the most important parts of such a dinner is being one time. They were due to be at my home at 7:15 pm - and they pulled in promptly at 7:16 pm! I'm impressed!!! They walked in and were immediately seated to a salad comprised of spring greens, sliced almonds, dried cranberries, mandarin oranges and chopped purple onions. After Kerry cleared those dishes away, out came the main course - baked chicken breasts (which every one of my kids ask for when they come home), couscous with saffron, chives and dried apricots, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans with butter and seasonings, cranberry/raspberry jello, biscuits with apricot butter, and lemonade. I joined them in the van to go to the dessert house, but many of my group were almost too full to enjoy dessert.

Jean and Earl joined us the next evening to help eat up the leftovers.

I enjoy having people here, though I must say I haven't much felt like it in the past year. I just don't have the stamina I used to.

Thursday found me a little under the weather, but it seemed to be gone by Friday - so off to the temple I went. A few of my workers were under the weather, too. Saturday, I woke up under the weather again, so I laid low.

In the afternoon, I drove down to the southern part of the state to be with Jordan and Melissa and the grandboys. They are so cute! JJ immediately wanted to know where Grandpa was, for Kerry is the only one tall enough to lift him up to touch the ceiling. We enjoyed dinner together and I drove on home. Here is a cute video that Jordan sent to me. I'm telling you, I cracked up... http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/azn_ladie82/?action=view&current=MOV05467.flv You might have to copy and paste this.

Peter is back in the hospital again. He was out for a few days, started feeling down and out again with dehydration, fever and chills - so he's in again. At some point he will probably come home, but not yet. I'm just not so sure he would be able to make the trip very well. We're kind of going day by day.

I am so happy when I hear good news that is happening to my friends and family. I've had a bit of sorrow in my own family as of late, but that doesn't keep me from rejoicing with others' good news. For instance, my friend Alice Graves (whom I have known since the first day of first grade) has a daughter that will be having her second son next month. Diana is Relief Society President of her ward and seems to be blossoming. I am attending a shower for her on Saturday. Alice's second daughter, Miss April, will be marrying Joseph Clark in August. I'm happy for their parents.

And, a former bishop and his wife, Sam and Marva Rogers, have received their mission call to Mississippi! They were assets to our ward, and I learned a lot from them.

Jean's grandson, Cory, is getting married in August, too. His little bride-to-be is a sweet young girl. I'm happy for them.

Betty's son, Justin, and his little family are just the cutest little things. He has been regularly attending church and accepting callings. Her other son, PT, and his little family have just delighted them in holding piano recitals, etc. They are so cute, but I don't get to see them nearly enough. I know Betty and Pete are so proud of them.

Tonight is an early-to-bed night. I'm a little weary, my head is plugged, and my body is tired. But, I've enclosed a few missives to enjoy, as usual...

Love,
Miss P

From Olivia, who's married to my nephew, David:
So I am really nervous about putting this out there but I am trying to meet a really big goal for me which requires me selling myself so in the name of Facebook which was created for networking... Here goes.As some of you may know, I am a natural birth hippy crazy person and I am currently trying to become a certified doula (labor support for mom and dad) with DONA (Doulas of North America) I am a trained doula right now but its kind of like scouts and I am trying to get my next merit badge :) So as part of my certification I have to attend some births as a doula. I am just trying to get my name out there and get my births in so if anyone knows anyone who is interested in having a doula or if any of you would be interested I would love to hear from you. Doulas help in lowering medical interventions in both natural and medicated childbirths so they are not just for "the granola" :)Anyway thanks for all your help and I would appreciate any positive thoughts as well! OliviaFeel free to give out my emails:imabirthjunkie@gmail.comliv2themax@gmail.com

"In November 1974 President Spencer W. Kimball dedicated the Washington, D.C., Temple. Many of the General Authorities were present. Elder and Sister Packer were among them when, on 22 November 1974, the prophet testified: 'The day is coming, not too far ahead of us, when all the temples on this earth will be going night and day. There will be shifts, of course, and people will be coming in the morning and in the hours of the day and throughout the day and we will have no vacations for the temples. But there will be a corps of workers night and day almost to exhaustion, because of the importance of the work and the great number of people who lie asleep in the eternity and who are craving, needing, the blessings we can bring them.'"
http://www.enrichmentcottage.com/living/temple_attendence.htm
I love this! Let's keep it going! No catches. Just the peace in knowing that you were able to share God's love and wisdom to all those you have contact with and even bless someone you don't know. Have a blessed day! 1. Give God what's right -- not what's left. 2. Man's way leads to a hopeless end! -- God's way leads to an endless hope. 3. A lot of kneeling will keep you in good standing. 4. He who kneels before God can stand before anyone. 5. In the sentence of life, the devil may be a comma--but never let him be the period. 6. Don't put a question mark where God puts a period. 7. Are you wrinkled with burden? Come to the church for a face-lift. 8. When praying, don't give God instructions - just report for duty. 9. Don't wait for six strong men to take you to church. 10. We don't change God's message -- His message changes us. 11. The church is prayer-conditioned. 12. When God ordains, He sustains. 13. WARNING: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning. 14. Plan ahead -- It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark. 15. Most people want to serve God, but only in an advisory position. 16. Suffering from truth decay? Brush up on your Bible. 17. Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord. 18. Never give the devil a ride -- he will always want to drive. 19. Nothing else ruins the truth like stretching it. 20. Compassion is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back. 21. He who angers you controls you. 22. Worry is the darkroom in which negatives can develop. 23. Give Satan an inch & he'll be a ruler. 24. Be ye fishers of men -- you catch them & He'll clean them.. 25. God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

No comments:

Post a Comment