Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cane and Able

I have truly become part of the older generation - and I am NOT ready for it.

I had a battery of testing done this week. As a matter of fact, it was a very rough week. Monday began with some pretty intensive physical therapy testing for balance. I have no balance. I am wobbly. They have wondered why I have not fallen more than I have. My feet and ankles are not able to detect when there is a difference in surface or incline, so they have strongly recommended that I always use a cane when I am not at home.

So, I have a cane.

When I'm at home, I'm familiar with where the furniture, walls, etc. are located so I can steady myself if I start to fall. But away from home, that's a different story.

Wednesday was a very rough day. It involved several hours of glucose tolerance testing. I hadn't had that done for 26 years when I was expecting Jordan. (I was a gestational diabetic with each pregnancy, and with him my blood sugar peaked at 467!) I was really glad I had Jean with me on Wednesday, for I could feel myself fading as my sugar rose and fell. Afterward, we raced to the cafeteria to get some protein in me. I came alive and went on to PT.

Thursday finished up my testing. I had an MRI that lasted 2 hours. Although it was an open MRI, it was still hard to endure - a neck brace, a cage over my face, and a sound like a jackhammer that would not end. They played a classical cd, but I couldn't hear it. I was perfectly still all that time, but I figuratively had to take myself to a different place to endure it.

Although it was a rough week, I am still very thankful for the time that I live in. They are able to see inside my body without actually having to go in there. Now we wait for the results.

Mr. Kerry was able to go with me to the temple on Friday. I love it when he can go with me. Julie Hoffman also joins me twice each month. That evening, we joined her and her husband at the local Masonic Temple for a Swiss steak dinner. Oh, it was so good.

After a later night on the computer Friday night, I rolled out of bed Saturday morning to go to breakfast with Mr. Kerry. Instead of the ice cream socials we love to go to in the summertime, we went to a breakfast social. Hundreds of motorcycles descend on Mansfield this week and next, and a local church offered a free mush breakfast - and it was SO good. We enjoyed eggs, sausage, pancakes, fried mush, juice and milk - and left a donation. We almost went this morning, too! Afterward, it was off to the farmer's market.

I cherish these times with Mr. Kerry - and I also enjoy life when he's not able to be with me. When we are together in the evenings, we share our activities of the day so we sort of experience them with each other.

Church was good this morning. It was good to see an old friend from the past - Tammy Bishop, nee Bonecutter. It has been years since she's been able to make a trip back here, and reunions have a way of doing that. It's also been fun connecting with friends and family on facebook or myface or facespace or whatever it's called. I get them all mixed up! What a fun way to catch up and to share pictures.

Thank you all for your prayers in my behalf. Many of you have written to tell me that you have included me in those prayers, and I appreciate that. They really do matter. And, they help.

Have a good week!

Love,
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment