Sunday, July 12, 2009

So glad to be alive!

I'm another year older this week! I am so touched by the amount of birthday cards and emails that came my way this week. In the past, the only cards I got were from my insurance agent and some guy we bought a van from 20 years ago. And Janet! She was one of my good friends when I lived in Akron over 30 years ago, and then later when she moved to the Washington area a few months after I did. Over the years, we've never forgotten each other's birthdays. As for friendship - we could probably pick right up where we left off.

I still can't help thinking about my mom. It seems like she was on my mind and on Kerry's through this week. Perhaps she wasn't really that far away. I think of her being pregnant during the hot summer of 1955. I know how I felt when I was pregnant through the summer with Jordan - my August baby. I thought I was going to die. I was swollen. It was nice being able to spend some time in a nice, air-conditioned hospital room. Thanks for all your comments about my mom's picture last week. I couldn't believe my sisters had never seen it!

This past week found us traveling to Washington Court House to celebrate little Jayden's 2nd birthday! My goodness - it's been two years since his birth surprised us all. Kerry and I had gone to a movie when Jordan called us on the way home. He and Melissa and JJ were staying with us at the time. Melissa was having some cramping, then soon after, her water broke. She was 27 weeks along. She was sent up to Akron General, where little Jayden made his appearance weighing 2 lb 12 oz. He was so tiny that Kerry could hold him in one of his hands.

He was almost a month old here with Melissa.
I was hold him and JJ at the same hospital I would be admitted into just a few weeks later. His baby brother, Justin, had just been born a few days earlier.
And look at him now! Two years old and healthy and happy as can be!!!

Life is good. Very, very good.

A couple of days later, I went to a neurologist. He was quite concerned over some symptoms I've been having, and ordered several tests to be performed over the next week. I already had one of them on Friday - an EMG. It hurt. It just plain hurt. It basically involved putting a series of needles into my muscles and testing electrical impulses. Some of them I never felt. Others, I did. Oh, I did.

But, I felt well enough to go to the farmer's market on Saturday. Rain was due to come at any moment, and I mostly beat it. Rain doesn't bother me. There was also a street mart going on, and I found some great buys. Later on, Kerry and I went to an ice cream social, followed by cleaning the chapel. We all take our turn cleaning the chapel. I consider it an honor. It is the Lord's house, and I think we treat it a little better when we're asked to help take care of it.

This week will be quite busy with physical therapy, a GTT (glucose tolerance test, which I despise!), and an MRI. I'm glad I have Jean to go with me to some of these appointments. I want to get through them and move on. I need to feel better.

It was just over a year ago when a good friend of mine, Cecelia Whittenberger (who just became a brand new grandma!!!) came to visit me in the hospital. I was a mess. My spirits were down. I smelled. I looked awful. She tenderly massaged my legs and back with the most wonderful lotion and brought me a Willow Tree figurine called "Courage".
Little did I know how that little figure would become so important to me in the months to come. Today, it sits in a prominent place in my home. I have had to have quite a bit of courage lately for a variety of reasons. It helps me remember that I have it. Thank you, Cecelia.

Have a happy week! Life is good. Very, very good.
Love,
Miss P
The "young men" - Jordan and Erik. Both are 25 for a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment