Sunday, December 6, 2009

An eye for an eye

I guess I am getting older. Well, at least parts of me are.

I had my annual eye exam on Tuesday, and I couldn't believe the change in my vision. Neither could my eye doctor! I had been having a lot of trouble with both distance and close up. I figure it had to be aging, for I really hadn't had any changes in a few years. This year made up for it.

I also knew part of it was what I used to clean my glasses with - a Kleenex that has Vick's VapoRub built into them. They are great at relieving some congestion, but are really lousy for cleaning eyeglasses. I wouldn't recommend it, for I ended up using vinegar to get the film off.

I celebrated getting my new stove this week! But, I have to admit that it has a feature I've never heard of. The delivery men were putting it into place and even installed an anti-tip device. I thought that was kind of remarkable. But, I was glancing through the manual and noticed a page entitled "Sabbath Day Cooking".

I was intrigued.

I haven't entirely read it through, but apparently it has a feature for Jewish Sabbath cooking. A fellow genealogist informed me that "A sabbath day setting I imagine would be one where the stove is not completely turned off. I remember my great grandmother telling me that in the "old days" as a gentile she was often asked to go and relight stoves or gas lamps that went out on the sabbath".

My sister-in-law teased me by saying it was a Kosher stove.

Friday at the temple was busy, but moderate in attendance. It was a good day for getting caught up on some things. My friend, Miss Dani, was there as a worker for the first time. She did a fine job! Later, she and I went to dinner at Perkins for potato pancakes. Some other temple workers heard us talking about them and decided they would taste good, too! There they were in the restaurant, eating potato pancakes just like us...

Saturday morning was a wonderful entrance into the Christmas season. The Relief Society (women's organization) held a Christmas brunch at the church. The presidency prepared muffins, quiche, strata, yogurt w/granola, and little loaves of quick breads for all of us. There was an ornament exchange, along with beautiful testimonies of the Savior and the Christmas season. It was just wonderful, and I'm so glad I went.

Tonight, Mr. Kerry and I cuddled up on the couch, turned on the computer to www.lds.org and watched The First Presidency and the Tabernacle Choir bring beautiful Christmas messages to the world. And, to us. You can probably see it repeated if you log on.

Now, as we have officially begun our entrance into this marvelous holiday season, I have many things on my mind. It's so easy to get frazzled and frenzied by all that is going on in the world and how we're going to "get through" the holidays. I'm just not going to let that happen. I'm going to look at what I can do for my fellow man and do my best to help the world to become better.

And there's no better place to start than with myself.

Love to y'all...
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment