Monday, May 31, 2010

Heroes

What an eventful week, for sure!

Tuesday morning, Fern and Jim and Betty arrived bright and early so we could load up and go to Kentucky for a much-needed genealogy trip. It's getting just a little bit harder for us to go - we've all had some physical ailments that limit us.

Betty had been fighting a head cold for the past few days, but was past the contagious phase. She got chilled very easily, so she put on everything she could find in the van to try to keep herself warm - a scarf, three towels, a hat, a pillow, etc...

I told her she looked like Juan Valdez - that guy leading a mule picking coffee beans.

While I was on my way to Kentucky, Kerry was on his way to the foot doctor to have his ugly, blackened toenail looked at. They are probably going to be able to save it, but it requires some TLC - soaking, wrapping, etc.

We spent time with my aunt and uncle, who live in Olive Hill, KY. The whole area is recovering from some pretty horrendous flooding. We were all so worried about them when the flooding hit the national news. They were able to get their cattle up to the top of the hill on one side of the holler. Water came clear across the bottomland into their son's house. Considering the fact that their health hasn't been the best, they did a good job hanging onto what they have.

This is my mom's last living brother. She was the oldest of a family of mostly boys - she had one little sister who died at the age of three. My uncle lives in the house my grandfather built. There are now five generations that have lived on this rich property. Betty and I walked around and took some pictures and she reminisced about the times she played in the trees and splashed in the creek as a young girl with Fern and Jean. She wouldn't dream of stepping into that creek now.

We also admired my aunt's garden. These Kentucky women grow gardens like Jack and the Beanstalk.

This was my last glance at my uncle, going back towards the tobacco barn where my mom taught me to shoot. It tugged at my heart, for you never know when you say goodbye... Well, you know the rest.

We took them to lunch. Betty and I climbed into the back of the van so my aunt and uncle could get in without having to crawl. As we headed to a neighboring town, we ran over a bump that stretched all the way across the road. You truly couldn't see it until you had gone over it. Because I was sitting on the wheel well, I really felt it. I was picked up and slammed as hard as if I had fallen onto the floor. My back immediately began to hurt - my back that has just been perfect since my surgery in December.

I knew something was amiss.

I hurt while working at the temple, and had to leave early to get into the doctor's office. An x-ray showed no breakage, but it looks like I'll have to have an MRI. I'm back to wearing my brace, taking pain meds, and gimping around.

Church was good today, as usual. I was so happy to see some friends from the past again - Rachael Martin and her mother, Linda. Earlier this year, Rachael's little baby had died, and I felt like anything I said over the internet just sounded so lame. She and I talked for quite awhile, for we both knows what it feels like to lose a son. Ours and hers were just a couple of weeks apart.

I received many comments when I honored the military people in Kerry's and my family on Veteran's Day, and I feel it appropriate to do the same thing again. Many have served - a few have died in combat. But, we honor and appreciate them all. Let's begin:

Kerry's dad - Orson - served in WWII in the Navy

My dad - Chester - served in WWII in the Navy - worked with liquid oxygen at Pearl Harbor.

Kerry's brother - Bill - who died in Germany in a Jeep accident at age 19 - 1965 (Kerry was 13 at the time)

Kerry's brother - Steve - who served in Viet Nam

Kerry's brothers - Lt. Col Kelly Lauritzen (Army) and Col. Chris Lauritzen (Air Force)

Kerry's sister - Charm - I believe she was with the National Guard (Charm, correct me if I'm wrong)

Fern's husband - Jim - who served in the Navy

Betty's husband - Pete - who served in the Air Force

Our own children - Harmony and Jordan - both served in the Army

Son Erik - who served in the Army

My mom's brother - Richard (Dick) - he served in the Army. He's the one we just visited this past week.

Another one of my mom's brothers - Thearl - served in WWII.

Dad's brother - Charles - served in WWII.

Will Walker - one of my dad's cousins - served in the Navy.

Edd Walker - father of the boy above and my father's uncle - served in WWI

The WWII Memorial in Manila, Phillipines - one of my mother's cousins is buried there and his name is on the wall.


Thomas Clemens - my dad's nephew and my cousin - served in the Navy.

Vaughn Kent Lauritzen - Kerry's uncle - served in WWII.

Jack Monihan - Kerry's uncle who served in the Navy.

Robert Stephens - my mother's g-grandfather - served in the Civil War.

Dr. Thomas Walker - who led and fought into the area west of the Allegheny Mountains. We believe we may be a shirttail relative.

Mom's g-grandfather - who served in the Civil War.

One of my dad's ancestors.

Corb - my mom's father - registered with the WWI draft, but didn't have to serve.

Richard - my dad's father who registered with the WWI draft, but never had to serve.

I am so grateful for these men and women who faithfully and willing served during times of peace and during times of war. I salute them always. And I will post all of these pictures and many more, as I find them - at least twice a year.

Flag that was flying over the Arizona Memorial in Hawaii when we were there in 2006.

In June, we wish a happy birthday to:
David - son of Kerry's brother, David WHO'S GETTING MARRIED IN JUNE!!!! - June 3
Content - Kerry's sister - June 5
Miss Debbie - our Florida friend - June 10
Justin - son of my sister, Betty - June 16
Marion - wife of Kerry's brother, Kelly - June 17
Melody - dau of Kerry's sister, Content - June 20
Erik! - our SON!!! - June 27

And a happy anniversary to:
Kelly & Marion - Kerry's brother and s-i-l - who have decided on a NEW anniversary, since there is so much stuff going on around their traditional one - June 21
Jean & Earl - my sister and b-i-l - June 25

No comments:

Post a Comment