Sunday, May 9, 2010

It's all about family...

When you come right down to it, it really is all about family. And, that's exactly what our week has been filled with.

Even though we've been freezing to death and fighting allergies all week, we have had some marvelous experiences with our family. Let me share...

On Tuesday, we traveled to Washington Court House (that's the name of the town) where Jordan and Melissa live. Even though little Justin's birthday had been April 24, circumstances prevented the celebration until this week. He's just the cutest little boy - a real charmer. Melissa went all out to make it a special day - there were grilled hamburgers and hot dogs (it doesn't get any better than that!), potato salad, chips, cake and drinks.

Jordan's funny. He warned me that one of his friends would be arriving to help him work on his car. He said that he was coming up from Kentucky, that he was PURE Kentucky, and that he might be a bit much for me. I told him there wasn't anyone from Kentucky yet that I couldn't handle. This guy arrived, and the moment he walked in the door, we hit it off. Oh, yes - he was pure Kentucky - a good ol' boy. Who knows? I'm probably related to him.

Because of gas prices, Kerry and I are combining as many errands as we can into just a couple of days each week. On Thursday, I had to have a LOT of blood drawn. (They are checking me for quite a few vitamin deficiencies. I have lost nearly all of my hair.) I just didn't feel really good after that blood draw, so our errands were cut a bit short. I'm so grateful Kerry is an understanding soul when it comes to my having to take things slow.

Friday evening, our ward sponsored a wonderful art and dessert show that centered around the theme "Love At Home". It was just amazing - there were such beautiful items there. As we sit and worship side by side each week, we just never know what talents we each possess. This is what I displayed:

It's a quilt that has sleeves to insert pictures. My family fills those slots.

Kerry and I had a wonderful day at the temple Friday and readied ourselves for another eventful day on Saturday - the baptism of Justin's wife, Erin. She is Betty's daughter-in-law. The whole family was invited to this baptism.

It's interesting how things happen. For a number of years, Justin had not been quite as active at church. Yesterday, his bishop told me that he was making some phone calls and was trying to get in touch with Betty. He reached Justin instead. After talking to him for awhile, he invited him to play basketball with some of the men from the church. Justin went. He kept going.

Soon, Erin became interested. She is an emergency room physician, and is not the type of person to just get caught up in something. She carefully studies things out and doesn't rush in - eventually making the final decision herself. This is what she did concerning her membership in the church.

Her baptism was one of the most beautiful ones I have ever attended - and I attend lots of them. There were well over sixty people in attendance! Her parents were able to be there from Toledo, too. Justin had asked Kerry if he would be one of the speakers and if I would do the music. Of course! We wouldn't even consider not being there. Justin humbly baptized his wife, and their joy was so full.

After lots of good cake and a gathering time following the baptism, the missionaries joined us family members at Justin's for a cookout. We left after dinner, our hearts and our minds and our bellies full.

They received a beautiful statue of the Christus, just like the one they saw in Salt Lake City when they went skiing there this winter.

When we arrived home, we saw a box waiting to be opened at our front door. We quickly tore into it, and were thrilled to see a box from a place called Shari's berries. I'd never heard of them until Rush Limbaugh promoted them. www.berries.com
I have never seen berries this big! They were the size of small lemons. They were strawberries covered in all different kinds of chocolates and confectionaries. Oh, my goodness! Thank you, Erik!!!

I am a lucky person indeed. All of my children have made contact with me during this Mother's Day weekend. The only one missing is Mr. Peter - but I'll just bet he might be thinking of me, too.

Now today, I am thinking of some mothers that have meant a lot to me. First and foremost is my own mother, Ida.

Mom was good. Mom was fun. She had eyes that could see around corners and arms that could stretch the length of our yard. I only had her 29 years, so I was cheated a bit more than my sisters. I miss her dearly.

I honor my mother-in-law, Shirley. I am constantly amazed at how she raised eleven different children with all of their different personalities. She taught me quite a bit during the years I got to know her. She raised the man I love. I miss her dearly.

Both of these women were good and faithful women that set wonderful examples for me. I don't know if I will ever be remembered like these women are.

Being born when my sisters were practically grown, they also "mothered" me. Sometimes I resisted it, sometimes I needed to recognize the fact that they had much to offer me. They are all good women.

No, we are not worshipping Jean. Maybe in her eyes...

Ida and her girls in West Virginia. Betty, Mom, Fern, Jean. Betty would be 16 years old when I was born.

Mother's Day has always been a bit hard for me. I guess I was always measuring myself against all of these other wonderful mothers that I seemed to be surrounded by. Motherhood was difficult for me, as I was the youngest and wasn't allowed to babysit much. I guess I did the best I knew how to do. And, I certainly wouldn't be the person I am today if I hadn't had the opportunity to be a mom.

And, what an irony that the one Sunday I dread is the one I was asked to write about in the newspaper today: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20100509/OPINION02/5090334/Opinion-Shapers-Mother-taught-values-by-example?GID=7Qu46oNY9vZaAlMeEOp3oqbyL16xti1Um518259M7SU%3D

Now we go into yet another beautiful spring week. It was 26 years ago today that Kerry and a very pregnant ME came out to this house for a walk-through. We were growing out of our other house, Kerry had seen this house on the back of one of those realty booklets you see in banks, stores, etc. He saw one while delivering mail at a bank. He just felt we should come and look at it. I was pregnant. Jordan had been in and out of the hospital. My mother was dying. I was worn out.

When we walked in on Mother's Day Sunday, the realtor had all of the windows open. A big lilac tree was in full bloom and the fragrance was wafting through the house. I drooled.

The house had been foreclosed on two years earlier, and no one had looked at it since. When we expressed an interest, there were seven others lined up behind us. We bid. We got it. And, it was where we raised our family. It's home. And, I am so, so grateful for it.

Home, sweet home.

Happy Mother's Day to y'all...
Miss P

PS - Congratulations to Bryce and Chareen (son and d-i-l of Kerry's brother, Steve)for getting their first house, and for his getting his Masters in Special Education!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment