Sunday, August 30, 2009

At last!

At last there is a diagnosis on the some of the problems I have been having!

To catch you up, I have been experiencing really severe neuropathy in my feet for the past several months, along with some of there things that I'm sure you don't want to know about. Trust me - you don't want to know. The feet are a problem, though. I have scalded them while reading in the tub - the hot water was trickling on them and I never felt it. I have fallen into the front hallway when I got one foot stuck on the threshhold - I never felt it. I have rammed them into doors, refrigerators, file cabinets, etc. I have gotten one stuck in the car door. My balance has been off - hence I sometimes use a cane. I'm telling you, it's been aggravating.

My doctor referred me into a neurologist, who began immediate testing for MS, lupus, lyme disease, diabetes. Some of the results were on the fringe of norm, but still in the norm. Blood work was done to test levels of B1, B6, B12, zinc, copper, etc. Again, they were on the fringe, but nothing to panic about.

MRI's were done - beginning with my brain and neck (remember - I fell on my head in January while walking Mr. Eddie). It showed lots of arthritis in my neck - something I already knew.

Next came a thoracic MRI - upper torso. Nothing remarkable.

Then came the lumbar region. It showed arthritis that is compressing my spinal cord. There is a name attached to it: L/S spondylopathy. The neurologist has now referred me to a neurosurgeon, who is reviewing all of the tests before he brings me in. L/S stands for lumbar/sacral. Here is the rest of the definition:
Spondylopathya general term indicating a disorder of the vertebrae. Various forms may occur in patients with paralysis, including neuropathic osteoarthropathy (disc space loss, bone sclerosis, fragmentation, subluxation, osteophytosis) and development of bony outgrowths of the spine. In some patients, improperly healed fractures may lead to formation of paraspinal masses.
An erosive spondylopathy may occur either as an isolated process or as a component of ankylosing spondylitis. In the latter instance, focal areas of bone erosion and sclerosis of both the central and peripheral areas of multiple discovertebral junctions are observed.
Apparently, there is a gene that has been identified with this disease. My father, two of my sisters, and a nephew have all had issues with this part of their back.
I'll keep you all informed!
On Wednesday, I joined Fern and Betty for a genealogy day. It was wonderful - and the first time we have been able to do it this year. We cleaned up some loose ends and untied some others.
Amid torrents of rain, we had a wonderful day at the temple on Friday. Kerry drove Julia Hoffman and I to Columbus. I felt sort of bad for a young couple that was trying to get their wedding pictures in between raindrops. Another woman was there for the first time. She was from a town in West Virginia named Big Ugly. All three of my sisters knew right where it was.
Mr. Kerry is off for the next week, and that means it's time for us to play. He is very gentle when it comes to making sure I'm okay. I may have my challenges, but I feel totally safe with him around. We are headed north through Michigan and up around the northern shore of Lake Superior. I have been there since I was a young teenager, and Kerry has never been there. My parents and I went fishing in those parts many times - so I have fond memories. I particularly remember a time we went salmon fishing. The salmon were HUGE! People were putting them upright into galvanized garbage cans when they caught one. I saw one fisherman knock one in the head with a hammer when it jumped into his boat. Dad wanted to catch one so bad. I prayed not to - and I was the only one that did!
So, off we go! I'll see y'all next week! But, in the meantime, we wish a happy September birthday to:
Earl ~ Jean's husband - Sep 7
Larry - husband of Kerry's sister, Content - Sep 9
Steve - Jean's son - Sep 14
Erin - Betty's daughter-in-law - Sep 16
PT - Betty's son - Sep 20
Orson - Kerry's father, who would have 91 years old this year - Sep 30
And a happy anniversary to:
Justin and Erin - Sep 25 - 4 years!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment