Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Laid Back Week

What a wonderful, lazy, do-whatever-we-feel-like week!

It began with my occupational and physical therapy sessions. Bit by bit, I do believe they're helping. I've been doing whatever they ask of me, but it usually wears me out afterwards. I didn't come straight home from my sessions, and after a bit Kerry called me to make sure I was okay. Bless his heart. The older we get, the more we truly depend on each other.

The next day, we packed a lunch, threw Eddie in the car, and headed for Indiana, PA. Kerry had been wanting to go there for awhile, for years ago we saw the most fantastic marching band perform when my Jordan and Erik were in band competitions. It also is the birthplace of Jimmy Stewart, one of Kerry's favorite actors. He has always loved "It's A Wonderful Life", as his own father did.

The drive over was beautiful. We wandered through eastern Ohio and western Pennsylvania on some of the most lovely roads ever. I keep a stack of things to read in the car, and when we were on straight roads I went through them. Some things I read to Kerry. Some I just study for myself. We almost NEVER have the radio on - or the CD player. We love the quiet - we love the conversations we both have with each other.

Though the weather was perfect, it wasn't cool enough to leave Eddie in the car. I told Kerry to go through the Jimmy Stewart Museum and give me a complete description when he came out. Mr. Eddie and I stayed in the car under a tree and watched the world go by. We snacked. I read. He growled at things he thought was threatening - he thinks he's protecting me. I didn't mind waiting - I've done plenty of that in my life as I waited for kids at piano lessons, school functions, etc.

Kerry was elated when he came out! He could hardly wait to tell me all about it. There are two things that stand out in my mind:
1. Jimmy Stewart was quite the patriot. He went into the Air Force, but before being accepted he had to gain weight. At 6'3", he only weighed 150 lbs. He actually could have opted out, but he wanted to serve his country. He flew several missions over Europe. One stipulation that was always in his movie contracts was that no mention be made of his war service. He felt it was personal and that it was his honor and duty to serve - but not to laud it on movie marquees.
2. Only 45 films have ever been approved by the Vatican as being suitable to watch. One of them was "It's A Wonderful Life". (Another was "The Wizard of Oz" - which Kerry sobs through the ending every time!)
Indiana, PA
We enjoyed dinner, then meandered our way back home, stopping at farmer's markets, ice cream stands, etc. all the way.
Wednesday was quite rainy, but we enjoyed having lunch with Fern and Jean and Betty at Olive Garden.

Friday was a great day at the temple. Kerry and Natalie Williams and I had a very full day with all of the many things that take place in the temple. I was particularly exhausted at the end of the day, for I am still having to get around with a cane - at least for awhile. Natalie insisted on taking us out to dinner at Schmidt's Sausage Haus - a wonderful restaurant in the heart of German Village. We invited a member of the temple presidency and his wife to join us. He had heard about the restaurant, but had never been to it. They LOVED it! http://www.schmidthaus.com/

We finished up Kerry's vacation week at Betty and Pete's home in Vermilion on Lake Erie. I had actually never been to this house before - just the one they moved from a few years earlier. Just like their Florida house, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED this one! Pete fixed a wonderful beef tenderloin on the grill while Betty fixed boiled redskin potatoes, fresh corn, salad, ratatoullie, tomatoes, banana split cake, etc. Later, Pete took us out in the boat. It was such a peaceful afternoon. We were really grateful for the invite - and the opportunity to see Justin, too.
Kerry & Callie

Now we begin a new month. I can hardly believe that our summer months are just about over. We have had such a cool summer in Ohio - some morning and evenings have felt like autumn. I know it won't be long. Kerry and I have enjoyed ourselves immensely as we settle into our routine. We love being able to be near family. We love our friends. We love our home.

We love life.

This month, we wish a happy birthday to:
Pete ~ Betty's husband - TODAY ~ Aug 2
Jordan - OUR SON - Aug 6 (he'll be 26!!!)
Linda ~ our special friend in Florida!
Joy ~ Kerry's sister - Aug 12
Brooke ~ Betty's daughter - Aug 18

And a happy anniversary to:
Kelly & Marion - Kerry's brother and his wife - Aug 5 (I remember his parents really, REALLY wanting us to come to Utah for the wedding. Jordan happened to be born the next day. Jordan - you've always had the lousiest timing...)
Frank & Terri - my genealogy friends - Aug 8

Love to y'all ~
Miss P

No comments:

Post a Comment